The Best Sing-Along Songs
Call us eclectic if you must, but some songs last forever, no matter the generations. We’ve come up with a list of the best songs to sing along with so that you, too, can have as much fun learning how to play or sing them as we have. Warning: This list may make some of you a little nostalgic….
1. Don’t Stop Believing (Journey) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k8craCGpgs
Because if they sang it on “Glee,” it must be amazing, right? And let’s not forget all those supastars who sang it on “Rock of Ages” either.
2. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (Julie Andrews & Dick Van Dyke) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRFHXMQP-QU
We’ll be honest, pretty much every single song from Julie Andrews’s earlier movies is a sing-along song, but this one is a lot of fun to sing with kids.
3. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (Cyndi Lauper) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIb6AZdTr-A
When are you gonna live your life right … fer realz. Back in the ‘80s, the song was seen as a bold feminist statement about a woman’s role in society, but these days, well …girls really just wanna have fun.
4. These Boots Were Made for Walking (Nancy Sinatra) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbyAZQ45uww
This one’s a particularly good singalong for those with teenage angst. Back in its day, US troops adopted it as their anthem during the Vietnam War.
5. Satisfaction (Rolling Stones) [also sung by Wild Horses, Dead Flowers, etc.] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEjkftp7J7I
“Satisfaction” was the Rolling Stones’ first number 1 in the US, and said to be the best song of their career. This video’s a hoot – check out the concert clothes of the ‘60s.
6. I Will Survive (Gloria Gaynor) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCR0ep31-6U
Quite possibly the highest ranking song at a karaoke bar, this one’s dead easy to sing along with. Gloria Gaynor said she won’t sing it anymore after hundreds of women thanked her for her song giving them the courage to divorce….
7. Hotel California (Eagles) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dyw6LZpSOA
Classic ‘70s rock with some incredible guitar playing at the end. This song is likely the most recognized song of that decade. According to Henley, the song was about the band’s journey from innocence to experience after living the high life in Los Angeles.
8. Spirit in the Sky (Norman Greenbaum) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aZsF7v0pNw
A great song to sing to no matter what *state* you’re in. Funny thing about this song is that Norman sang about his friend Jesus even though he was Jewish.
9. Sweet Dreams (Eurythmics) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeMFqkcPYcg
Annie Lennox’s deep voice and clear notes will cut through any of life’s clutter with this song. She calls it like it is and then pulls us all through.
10. Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9rUzIMcZQ
No, no, no, no, we’ll never let you go, Queen. And you should always add in the air guitar for effect. As you should with every Queen song in existence. Freddie Mercury planned to have this sound like an operatic piece from the beginning, long before any notes were penned, and it took three weeks to record and put together out of their many spliced sub-mix tapes.
Obviously no list can do justice to the songs we’ve all sung along with over our lifetimes, but at least we can laud some of our favorites.